HISTORICAL FACTS ABOUT THE BARANGAY AND THE CREATION OF THE MANILA BARANGAY BUREAU
One of the important offices in the City of Manila is the MANILA BARANGAY BUREAU, a service-oriented agency that is located along A. J. Villegas Street, besides the Central Station of LRT. It has been under the umbrella of the Mayor’s Office since its creation in 1973.
Principally considered as the implementing agency of the City Mayor, its main objective is to synchronize the programs, projects, vision and thrust of the City as a whole based on the decentralization of power.
II. THE HISTORICAL BACKGROUND OF THE BARANGAY
The smallest unit of government, known as the BARANGAY, is believed to have been established long, long before the coming of the Spaniards. Its existence, according to History, is the result of four (4) migrations of Malays to our Archipelago in the years 200 B.C., 100 A.D., the 12th century ( known as the Bornean Colonization of the Philippines) and finally the 16th Century, when the Muslims invaded Mindanao.
Originating from the Malay word “Balangay” which means “Sailboat” in English, the Barangay set-up during the Pre-Spanish era was headed by the Datu, the Lakan or Raja, and assisted by the Council of Elders. The said Datu exercised both the Executive, Legislative and Judicial powers. That was how powerful the Datu was. Eventually, the Maragtas, Sumakwel and Kalantiyaw Codes likewise served as basis for some Barangay Laws and Regulations. Every Barangay then, consisted of at least 100 families and duly supervised by the above-mentioned Rajahs.
When the Spanish era began, the Barangay setup was never abolished. Instead, the Barangays were named sitios
"MAJOR FUNCTIONS OF THE BUREAU"
Manila Barangay Bureau disseminates vital informations to the 897 Barangays in the City of Manila on matters related to policies, issuances, programs, projects, laws and ordinances that may affect communities. The Bureau also coordinate activities that will conjoin with the programs of the City and the National Government. Subsequently, with the passing of R.A. 7160 (New Local Code), the MBB has widened its functions which included rendering assistance to the City Mayor in the general supervision of the 897 Barangays pursuant to Sec. 32 of the said Code.
Furthermore, Sec. 455 (b) mandates the City Mayor to visit component Barangays once every six (6) months to find out their conditions and how the City Government can solve their problems to attain quality of life.
Apparently, the Mayor could not perform his diverse functions alone, hence, the need for MBB assistance is necessary.
To summarize, the MBB has set its goal of operations, to wit:
1. Dissemination of information to Barangay Officials on matters relative to public policies, projects and programs of the City.
2 Periodic Inspection/monitoring of the 897 barangay and to report deficiencies on health and sanitation, obstruction, illegal construction/businesses, etc.
3. Regular inspection/monitoring of barangay projects/biddings.
4. Conducts Special Trainings, Seminars, Workshops touching on Public safety/health, used of radio during disaster and likewise conduct other activities like the Search for Outstanding Punong Barangays, Operation Linis, LGU Mini Olympics, Greenest Barangays and others.
5. Registration of Barangay Supplies/Contractors.
6. Receipt of complaints against barangay officials and conducts Fact Finding Investigations, Conciliations and/or Mediations.
7.Receipt of various communications, issuances,referrals or certifications.
8. Assists the City Mayor in the extension of medical assistance and other local services to the 897 barangays.
8. Assists the City Mayor in the eradication of drug abuse in Manila thru its Anti-Drug Abuse Council by means of preventive education and drug abuse awareness program and projects towards a drug free workplace, barangay and school.
ASSEMBLES A GROWING GROUP WHO ARE ACTIVE, ENERGETIC, RESPONSIBLE AND INNOVATIVE EMPLOYEES IN THE ADVANCEMENT OF KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND THE IMPROVEMENT OF THE QUALITY OF WORK AND LIFE.
TO HELP, COORDINATE, WORK, IMPLEMENT THE CITY OF MANILA’S THRUST AND VISION TOWARDS ATTAINING EXCELLENCE AND PROSPERITY OF THE CITY.
The Past Director's of Manila Barangay Bureau